Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Curious Case of the Naked Man on the Floor

I've decided to begin the new year with a more light-hearted post. A few days ago, while researching the latest on stem cells on the web, I came across a set of articles (1, 2, 3)from the Charleston Post and Courier about a patient who was at Nanshan Hospital around the same time as we were.

Upon reading the article, I realized that the gentleman in the articles was the same person that I described in my post dated March 27, 2007. These news articles helped me understand better his experience in China. While the hospital staff and the reporter each painted a different picture of this patient's personality and deeds, I am sure that he meant to do no harm. Furthermore, I empathize with his desire and need to do everything within his power to get better.

The famous movie producer, Robert Evans, once said, "There are three sides to every story. Your side, my side and the truth. And no one is lying." I couldn't have put it better myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I am a student from HK. I just randomly found your blog on the Internet. Im thankful for your detailed documentation of your experience in China.

A reason that research in Stem Cell (and indeed many other fields) is not progressing in a fast enough pace is due to, in my opinion, the strict regulations regarding ethical issues. Before conducting experiments in human subjects, they have to complete experiments in in vitro and in vivo samples, guaranteeing it's safety and lack of substantial threats. It may seem like slowing down the progress of medical researches but i have no doubt that it is the most ethical and scientific way of doing researches. Think about it, if you can prove some new drugs to be effective, but you kill a lot of people during your trials... yes you do discover new drugs easier but it isn't ethical at all!

As for the case in China, they do not have that strict regulation over there. So they may seem unethical. But the thing is they still have the consent of their patients. Their advantage is that they have that treatment available and a BIGGER SAMPLE SIZE. What if a third party collects data and conducts formal researches from those patients? I mean, it's like a win-win situation. The obstacles might be that we have to ask the healthcare providers to let us collect data, and also they may not have a strict protocol of treatment that we can base the study on.

Im sorry that Im writing too much. Anyway, I think if they are not willing to conduct formal researches, and they will not let foreigners to go there and supervise a research... in this case researches in Hongkong is somewhere in the middle and they might grant us rights to conduct research in their centers. It's like, they do the treatment part, we do the pre, peri, and post treatment data necessary for analysis. Im just a college student so my view may be a little superficial and not as thougthful but anyway thank you for reading my comment (in case you have done so) and thank you again for sharing your experience!

Wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

Um... and one drawback about my suggestion is that, it might seem like an act of encouraging their unscientific medical treatment... it's like "I do not agree with this kind of trial of treatment so Im not doing this thing, but when they do this i use their data"... it's getting complicated when it comes to ethical issues. they do have the consents of their patients so is it that unethical if they tell beforehand the failure rate and possible side effects.

Anonymous said...

and they cannot tell you the failure rate of side effect profile beforehand because they have no such data. what if they tell you there is still no evidence to support the effectiveness or lack of side effects of the current treatment but i doubt they would say that to their patients.

Anonymous said...

Richard and Lily

Thank you for keeping us abreast of the new developments. I always look forward to reading your blog. God Bless. Take care.

Shamim